Office Organization Tips for Improved Productivity
Office storage can present itself as a challenge, especially in working environments where space is limited.
We spend nearly a third (if not more) of our day working in the office. Since productivity is crucial towards a smooth, #workhappy day at work, having an organized office is key.
A study by Princeton University found that physical clutter restricts our ability to focus and limits our brain’s ability to process information. The findings further states, “clutter makes you distracted and unable to process information as well as you do in an uncluttered, organized and serene environment”.
An uncluttered office is a #workhappy office. Here are 3 ways to a more organized office:
1) Set up a gotong-royong day
The Supplycart family is getting additional office space to accommodate our growing team. In conjunction with the move, we needed to do some major de-cluttering.
Now organizing a massive gotong-royong can be tough, especially if you have a large team. Start by getting everyone to clean their own work space first.
Once your colleagues are done with their individual spaces, assign them to de-clutter specific areas in the office. Some key areas that could use re-organization include the stationery, cabinet, the officepantry and storage areas such as the filing cabinet.
2) Organize for some re-organization
Once you’ve thrown out what you don’t need for your office, it’s time to re-organize what you decide to keep.
Two key office staples that would need more attention when it comes to re-organization are paper and pantry.
Paper is an essential item in our daily working lives. Which means we probably have hoarded god knows how many pieces of paper at our work stations.
The best way to reduce all that paper clutter is to segregate your paper pile using a paper tray and sectioning them off by the following:
- The toss section: for all the papers you’ve done using and serve no purpose anymore. You can always re-purpose these papers by recycling them or printing on the blank side.
- The “to-file” section: for papers you will need for your future reference and documentation.
- The “further action” section: for papers that may need reviewing or other actions in the future
Admit it, when it comes to food we can be quite attached hence it can lead to a lot of accumulated food in the office pantry. From leftovers, to unopened cans your office’s favourite drinks (ours would be Coke and Ayataka Green Tea). Your office pantry could use some de-cluttering to ensure the quality of the food in your office is still good.
Two areas that you should pay attention to when it comes to cleaning the pantry area are the office’s refrigerator and your pantry’s counter or shelves where dry snacks are placed.
- For your office fridge: Do not keep leftover foods for more than 3 days and frequently check the dates of dairy products and eggs. For canned drinks, try not to overload your refrigerator space them, select a few tins based on your office’s weekly consumption and store the rest in your pantry’s cabinet
- For your pantry’s counter/shelves: Section off certain areas and label them accordingly. Group drinks off to one section and place the related drink complements such as powdered milk and sugar nearby. For snacks, arrange those that expire earlier to the front so it will be consumed first.
3) Try Subscriptions
Photo shows an example of a limited office space where their stock of A4 paper was placed in the pantry area
Sometimes office space can be a little too limited and it may not be possible to store much items hence the possibility of re-organization may not even happen.
If you are facing the issue of limited space but you still need some office supplies to keep your business running, try subscriptions by Supplycart.
Here’s how subscriptions can help your office:
- No holding stock: you don’t have to worry about space as you won’t be holding a massive stock in your office. With subscriptions, you can opt for split delivery so your bulk orders will come based on your desired delivery date each month.
- Automated office supplies: Don’t worry about running out of office supplies with subscriptions nor do you have to worry about overloading your office with an overwhelming stock. Subscriptions allow you to automate what you usually order so you don’t have to manually repeat your orders.
- Lock-in prices: Prices of goods tend to be sensitive to changes thus they may fluctuate and be higher in the coming months. With Subscriptions, you’re able to lock-in prices for up to 3 months. That means, you’ll be purchasing 3 month’s worth of office supplies but only pay for the product’s price as it is at the first month, avoiding potential hikes.
As we’ve highlighted earlier, an organized office can boost your workplace’s productivity. A uncluttered working area equals to a uncluttered mind, making it a #workhappy place to work everyday.